Happy Fall everyone!
Anti-Racist Teaching and Learning (A-RTL) offers programming for staff and faculty to cultivate teaching and facilitation practices that support anti-racist solidarity. With the aim of creating equitable learning environments and caring classroom spaces where learners who identify as Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour can thrive, A-RTL provides opportunities for educators to deepen their understanding of anti-racism and anti-racist practices at an individual, community, and institutional level.
- We have a brand-new A-RTL website to keep you up to date in programming and to share with you all an amazing tool developed by Freda Maideen (previous consultant). The Anti-Racist Ecosystems Table and Map aims to capture the existing network of A-RTL initiatives, programs, events, resources, and opportunities at UBC, please check it out and circulate it amongst your peers.
- On September 21st, the Indigenous Initiatives team held a very exciting and successful in-person open house where the A-RTL team was able to share upcoming workshops.
- Register for the Anti-Racism and Solidarity in University Settings workshop on October 12th 10:00AM – Noon
- Register for the Navigating Emotional Responses in the classroom workshop on October 26th 10:00AM – Noon
- Upcoming fall workshop: Exploring Complex Classroom Dynamics Using Case Studies. Date: TBA
- We delivered the “Connecting power, privilege and positionality” workshop at the CTLT summer institute on August 21st and the “Identity Matters” workshop on September 27th. Thank you to all those who attended for your input and reflections, we look forward to delivering the upcoming scheduled workshops for the fall.
- This past summer, we delivered the Anti-racist stem faculty cohort in partnership with the Faculty of Applied Sciences. We had some amazing sessions filled with complex and rich discussions and full of new learnings on what it means to engage in anti-racist approaches to education!
We would love to hear from you if you have any ideas about any themes/spaces we can facilitate to support enhancing Anti-racist teaching and learning practices. Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
What would you like to see from our office over the next year?