The Indigenous Initiatives Design Series (II Design Series) is a cohort program for instructors and members of the UBC teaching and learning community who come to Indigenous topics with different levels of knowledge and expertise. This is a three-part workshop series for anyone who wants to:
- Share practices to support meaningful and responsible engagement with Indigenous content and ways of knowing
- Redesign elements of their teaching and learning projects and resources
- Model and explore educational materials
- Apply classroom climate principles to everyday learning design situations
Through interactive, blended synchronous and asynchronous activities and peer-to-peer discussion, they will take a closer look at classroom climate, instructor/student positionality, and place.
Completion of the II-Design Series requires 13-15 hours total time commitment, including:
- Attendance and active participation in 3 half-day synchronous workshops (9 hours)
- Asynchronous learning activities, homework, and preparation before and between meetings (4 to 6 hours – Canvas)
Through participating in this workshop series, you will:
- Identify and reflect on the mindset shift you need to engage with as you integrate and center Indigenous knowledges, histories and content in your course and teaching practices.
- Narrate your own experiences, histories with place, and what has influenced your learning of Indigenous knowledges and perspectives to begin crafting a positionality statement.
- Consider some diverse experiences of Indigenous students at UBC and within the context of all learners in your classroom.
- Identify and discuss different aspects of classroom climate as it relates to integrating Indigenous knowledges and perspectives in your course.
- Locate points of connection within your course and teaching, set some actionable goals related to those points of connection, start “walking the path” as an iterative process.
- Fall Design Series: November 1, 3, and 8, 2022. Apply now.
- If you would like to participate in a different series sometime in the future, please add your name to the email list.
*After successful completion of the II Design Series, participants are invited to join the II Learning Community